9.27.2013

Paris on a pedestal


I have always had a strong desire to visit Paris.  From everything I'd ever seen, it just seemed to be the most enchanting and captivating place.  And now I know, it really is!  I also love doing crafts, so crafts that have to do with Paris really make me swoon.  :)

I saw this sweet "Paris" plate at Home Sense one day and I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it!  My friend's birthday was coming up, so I thought I'd make her a tiered tray!  Unfortunately I ran into a few bumps and I never finished it.  :(  I'm a horrible friend. 

On a brighter note, I finally finished it!

The major thing that was holding up this entire process was the beautiful black base.  Not so beautiful when I found it.  I got it at Good Will, it was just a regular clear glass vase, one that nobody would have taken a second look at.  I brought it home and spray painted it with my usual black Valspar spray paint, but this time in a glossy finish.  It looked BEE-YEW-TIFUL!!  Then I found out, when I lay the plate on top, that my beautiful base was not LEVEL!!   So, loooong story short, I used a glue gun to level out the top of the base and somehow I managed to finally finish the project.  I had also hoped to make the tray removable so as to store easier, and I actually managed that as well.  I'll tell you how!


Here's what I used, basically..



  • Glue gun
  • Black (Valspar) Spray paint
  • Decorative Sand (to weigh down the base)
  • Electrical tape
  • Cork
  • Super Glue
  • A Plate & Vase


In a nutshell, here's how to make it.  I'm sure it's pretty much self explanatory, though.  

1.  Spray paint the vase, any colour you wish but in a glossy finish, let dry.
2.  Level out the top of the vase, if necessary, using a glue gun.
3.  Fill the vase with sand, and plug it with a cork, to give it as much weight as possible.  If it's going to be functional it needs to be heavy.
4.  Take a cork and measure it inside the vase.  If the cork is still loose inside, wrap the cork in electrical tape just until it fits snugly in.  You don't want it to fit super tight or most likely the cork will come loose from the plate.
5.  Locate the centre of the bottom of the plate, super glue the cork to the bottom.
6.  Once glue is dried, fit the plate onto the vase.  Voila!

Doesn't the texture of the base remind you of the Eifel tower??


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...