7.21.2011

It's funny... 'cause it's true

This is seriously me in a nutshell.  When I read this I couldn't help but crack up; if you're a fellow procrastinator you know exactly what I mean.   I procrastinate with EVERYTHING.  When I was young.. for some reason I always found when I would do homework with friends I was always more interested in helping them do their homework than finishing mine.  I just could not bring myself to do my work!  In University I spent MANY a nights up until 6am solely because I had not finished an essay that was assigned at the beginning of the term and was now due the next day...at the END of the term.  Exams.. same deal.

I've tried to psychologize myself, and I've come to the conclusion that it's because I don't want to fail or be a failure.  My subconscious says if you can't get perfect, just don't do it at all.  Then the positive reinforcement to my bad behaviour arrives in the form of a good grade when I DO procrastinate.  So I can't win.  It's the worst most horrible most vicious cycle ever.  I can't escape it.

Now on to the point of this post.. I have an interview on Friday!!!   Talk about last minute, I just found out yesterday night!  Now I'm procrastinating on preparing for the interview!  I really need this job.. and yet I still can't seem to buckle down and get going!



SIGH.  Okay, how about I start right here right now.  Something useful and informative..  Well, I've just read about the Acronym STAR, which stands for Situation, Task, Action, Result.  It's always best to structure your answers in this format when asked a question that requires you to 'recall a situation when..'.  It allows you to organize your own thoughts as well as shows the interviewer that you know what you're talking about, and can convey it in a concise and clear way.  Also, if they were going to have any follow up questions you just may have already answered them, which is good!  Now let's take an example of said scenario shall we?

s a m p l e  q u e s t i o n:
Interviewer:  Tell me about a time when you had to use your analytical skills 
Me: Uhh, okay, I got this.  Ummm, I duno.  Seriously, I don't know.  OMG, please, I'm really nervous...I can't think
Interviewer:  Thank you for your time.
Me: baAaaahhh!!  =*(  I'm smart I swear!! (tears begin to stream out of my eyes in cartoon-like manner)

SEE!!  see!!!  I can't even take this seriously!!  A procrastinator 'til the day I die...  represent!  ;P   I think I'm gonna go take some quiet time... you know... to reflect on all this.  I'm going to prepare for the interview too.......tonight at 11pm of course. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...