7.25.2011

Yummyness.... courtesy of Martha!

When I woke up on Saturday morning I was absolutely starving.  My stomach felt like it wanted to eat itself.  I have no clue why I was so hungry, but when I went downstairs I saw there was nothing to eat.  I know, I sound like a child, I am, a 29 yr old child that is!  :)  Even though there were eggs, and bagels, and yogurt. . . there was nothing I felt for.  Plus, I'm so sick of eating e g g s, b a g e l s and y o g u r t!!   I need something healthy!  Well, okay, what I mean by healthy is something non-dairy and non-white bread!!! 

So I just got the new issue of Martha, and there was this yummy looking pasta salad thing on the cover.  I knew we had tomatoes, so I decided to make it!  Let me tell you, it was SO REFRESHING and SO TASTY.  Perfect for a summer afternoon.  You've absolutely got to try it!!  I adapted it slightly, but it's basically true to the recipe in the mag..

Pasta w/ Heirloom Tomatoes 
Serves 2

4 cloves garlic, mashed in garlic crusher
1/4 to 1/3 cup olive oil
3 heirloom (or any type) tomatoes, slice into 1/2 inch wedges
 1/3 cup torn fresh basil
1 tablespoon capers (chopped quickly)
1 teaspoon lemon zest (don't skip out on this)
crushed red pepper flakes (as desired)
farfalle pasta (bow-tie pasta)

1. Heat garlic in oil, in saucepan, over low heat for 10 minutes.  Take off when garlic is pale gold coloured.  Let cool for a little bit.
2.  Combine tomatoes, 3/4 of the basil, capers, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 tsp salt in large bowl.  Pour the garlic oil mixture on top to marinade.  Put in fridge for 1/2 hour.
3.  Grab about 3 handfuls of the dry pasta.  Make the pasta according to manufacturer's instructions.  Preferably cook until al dente.  Drain pasta, pour cold water over it and drain again, pasta should be just warm not hot.  
4.  Pour pasta over tomato mixture and combine.  Season top with salt, pepper, remaining basil and some more lemon zest.  Serve!

fresh basil in the kitchen
 
the tomato mixture! (my final picture wasn't graphically pleasing, so i've omitted.)

Final product, according to Martha.  Yours will have farfalle pasta, however.
  
BUON PRANZO!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...